Questions to Ask on Your Tour
Note: Aegis Living's procedures for community tours and new resident move-ins has changed during COVID-19. For more information, click here.
20 Questions to Ask an Assisted Living Community
If your parent or loved one can no longer live independently, then an assisted living community can provide the support they need to stay healthy and safe. There are many senior living options on the market, and it may feel overwhelming to narrow your choices. The first step is to define what you are looking for in an assisted living community and how it might fit your loved one’s care needs. Once you understand what is needed, you can begin your research for a new home.
Touring an assisted living community is important so you can meet the staff, see the amenities, observe residents, and get a feel for the community. We suggest that you ask lots of questions throughout the process, so that you can be confident in your final decision. But the questions that you ask during a tour can be especially insightful. To help you prep for your visit to the community, we have accumulated questions that we feel are relevant to get to the heart of how a community may fit your parent or loved one.
These questions will help you understand what each community has to offer and can also assist you in making a priority list of what is most important. Here are a few sample questions to ask while researching an assisted living community:
- How many staff members care for each resident?
- What type of training does your care staff complete?
- Are staff trained to care for residents with memory loss or Alzheimer’s?
- Are staff onsite 24/7?
- Can staff administer medications, and what is that process like?
- Do you have nurses on staff?
- Do you have an in-house physician?
- What type of security and safety measures do you have in place?
- Do you have experience with Alzheimer’s? Parkinson’s? Diabetes? (or the specific diagnosis of your loved one)
- Do you complete an assessment prior to moving in?
- What types of apartments are available?
- What is the monthly cost per apartment or the differences in price?
- What is your waitlist policy?
- Can I meet another family with a loved one in the community?
- Do you have transportation for doctor’s appointments?
- Do you have an activity calendar?
- What additional services are available if the care or personal needs change while living here?
- What is your billing policy?
- Are there added fees for services or activities?
- Do you offer hospice and end of life care?
If you are feeling nervous about your tour, print this list and have it available when you visit an assisted living community. This way, you won’t forget to ask the important assisted living questions that are unique to your situation. If you do forget to ask a question or you need clarification, call or email the director. A follow-up question will also help you understand their responsiveness to your concerns.
Selecting an assisted living community for your parent or loved one is a weighty decision for your family. Ask plenty of questions until you feel satisfied that you understand the options, policies, and benefits of the assisted living community, and that the community fulfills your list of criteria. Use these questions to compare communities as you tour to help you confidently reach a final choice. If you are interested in touring an Aegis Living community, our staff is happy to show you around and answer your questions.
Additional Resources: Questions to Ask on Your Tour
What is Assisted Living? Assisted living is a long-term care solution for your elderly parent or loved one who needs […]
People to Know
Who Works at an Assisted Living Community? Many families are unfamiliar with what an assisted living community can offer their […]