An Employee-First Company
At Aegis Living, we truly believe that each employee is the cornerstone to not only our current success, but also to our future success as a company. We have created a unique company culture that strives to appreciate and support our employees in their career ambitions and in their lives.
Aegis Living has earned the distinction of having the lowest staff turnover rate in the industry. Annual staff turnover is between 36 and 45%, compared to an industry average of 120%. The low turnover rate translates into better care for residents and a healthier, better environment for everyone.
Here are a few more examples of how we care for our staff:
- Aegis Living demonstrates that we value our employees in a number of ways, the least of which is the company’s annual meeting, EPIC. This is not your typical company meeting – no business is discussed. The goal of EPIC is the personal development of our employees to empower and enrich their lives. Renowned speakers, energizing activities and support from each other create this life-changing event. In 2011, among our distinguished speakers were Ted Kennedy Jr., Carlos Santana, Marianne Williamson and Harry Belafonte.
- In 2009, Dwayne started “Economic Calls” for anyone to participate in every two to three months. The calls explore our global economy, what is happening across the country, the latest news in our industry and an update about our company. Participation is completely voluntary, starting out with about 100 people, and has had upwards of 850 in attendance.
- Through Aegis Living’s Potato Soup Foundation, company employees work together to provide emergency assistance for our Aegis staff. Founded by Dwayne, the 501(c)(3) is a unique foundation set up to help staff directly. The foundation is funded by senior staff, donations and line staff who want to make contributions. It pays for medical bills, relocations, funeral expenses and education for staff who find themselves in difficult times.
- Each holiday season, employees take part in the Charlie Clause program. Each of our communities nominates a staff member to receive assistance. Toys, food, clothes and other items are given to the chosen recipient each year.
- The annual Winterfest event. During this event, the corporate office resembles a department store. Over the course of a day, employees come in and “shop” for items donated and purchased by the company for them.
- Aegis Living provides employees with a competitive compensation plan, profit sharing and benefits packages. Beyond that, we offer some unique “soft benefits” and there is the “fun factor” encouraged at Aegis Living communities. A committee of employees takes charge of having fun with staff bonding activities such as go-cart racing, bowling, and picnics.
- Aegis Living contributes to employee well-being through its extensive education and training. The management team has designed and implemented a series of progressive employee training programs through the Aegis Academy that have proven highly beneficial, providing employees with a comprehensive understanding of the sensitivities of aging as well as highly specialized dementia training.