Of course, the Internet is a great place to start to locate the independent, assisted living and memory care facilities in your area and to research the different options. Informed consumers will be able to ask the right questions and make a good choice for their loved ones.
Once you have narrowed your choices, the next step is to set up appointments and tour the properties that you think might be a good fit. Here are some questions to explore while visiting a community:
- Does it feel comfortable to you? Do you prefer a cozy, intimate home or would you prefer a bustling place with more people and activities? Are a garden or walking paths important to you?
- Do they offer a calendar of activities that interests you? Do you like the activities and exercise that they offer? Do the amenities interest you – gym, library, salon/barber or computer access? Do they offer religious services? Do they provide transportation?
- Does the food look appetizing? Do they offer a good variety of food options and menu items? Does it look appealing to you? Can they meet your dietary needs or preferences?
- How are healthcare concerns addressed? If you develop a medical condition, will you be able to remain in the community? Do they accommodate hospice?
- What is the staff like? Do they have meaningful interactions with the residents? Are they friendly, warm and considerate?
At Aegis Living, we are happy to provide a full tour at each of our properties and introduce you to our staff. You can spend time with our caregivers and meet our residents. This is the best way to get a sense of whether the community feels like home.