If your aging loved one has diabetes and needs additional support services, Aegis Lodge has a full-time nursing staff to provide the professional help they need. General Manager Kathy Stewart is a registered nurse who can offer additional coverage and expertise to our Diabetic Care Program, even for residents with memory care issues.
Our seven-day-per-week nursing staff encourages compliance with insulin requirements and other medication, reducing the need for hospital visits. Our registered nurses can also provide post-hospital and post-surgery care, peg tubes with gravity feeding, specialty diets and low immunity protection, monitoring for post-chemotherapy residents, and hospice care.
Our Diabetic Care Program apartments are located on the main floor of our community, providing easy access for residents with mobility restrictions. They are supervised by our registered nurses and offer a 24/7 snack bar with healthy food options.
Diabetic Care Management
- Medical Appointments – Onsite consults by our visiting Dr. Padilla, ARNP, and 24/7 oversight by our Medical Director, Dr. Darrell Owens, both with the UW Primary, Palliative and Support Care Program
- Care Management – Ongoing monitoring of diabetic complications affecting skin, circulation, infection, vision, renal, and cardiac functions. Collaborative consultations between medical and nursing staff and endocrine/diabetic specialists.
- Activity – Exercise program focusing on lower extremity circulation and movement.
- Daily Blood Glucose Checks – Daily monitoring by one of our six registered nurses, including glucose monitoring and insulin injections.
- Podiatry Care – Coordination of podiatry care and onsite podiatrist.
- All-Day Dining – 24/7 diabetic-friendly snacks in a common space, and custom-designed menus.
- Memory Care – Ability to care for diabetic residents with memory loss in a nurturing setting.
- Nutrition – Quarterly consults by Nutricopia specialists and additional assistance as needed. Careful monitoring of weight and nutritional status.
- Education – Ongoing classes for residents, families and providers, with onsite classes and our library resources.
- Emotional Well-Being – Monthly support groups.
- Therapies – Onsite physical and occupational therapies provided by the onsite clinic of Life Care Center of Kirkland.
- Special Spa Services – To promote circulation, we offer a lower-leg massage chair and have a licensed geriatric massage therapist available by appointment.
- Short-term respite stays also available.
To tour our community, contact our Marketing Director Sandra Cook at (425) 814-2841.